Day of Move-Out
Since 2008, Business Services has operated PennMOVES which collects items that Penn students can’t take with them when they leave campus in May – clothes, furniture, appliances, books, housewares, toys, sporting goods and nonperishable food, etc. To divert them from landfill, these items are collected and donated to Goodwill. On average, over 52,000 pounds of items are collected each year.
PennMOVES 2022 will run from April 28 – May 16. Please note: scheduled operations are subject to change. Donation stations will be staffed by student volunteers. Large or unwieldy items should be donated to the Hamilton Village location. Under no circumstances should items be left outside of the posted donation hours. If you require a donation receipt, please speak to the student volunteer on site for more information.
For full details on PennMOVES, click on the arrows below:
- We continue to work with Goodwill; in addition to handling housewares, unopened, nonperishable food, clothing, and other items, they partner with an e-waste recycler and will accept all of our electronics, functional or not.
- Faculty and staff may deposit their items in Goodwill bins across campus.
- Off campus residents may bring their items to one of the donation sites on campus.
- Clothes: should be clean and dry. No undergarments except unused in original packaging, or bras that are clean and in good condition.
- Soft goods: towels, sheets, pillowcases, comforters, clothes etc. should be clean and dry
- Shoes, boots, jewelry and accessories: matching items should be kept together, shoes can be tied together, or rubber banded together
- Household items: No items larger than 24"x18". Box or wrap dishes & silverware in sets. Please make sure all donations are in working order.
- Office items: paper, pencils, pens, folders: Clean and in usable condition
- Electronics: No items larger than 24"x18" phones, e-readers, laptops, etc., functional or not.
- Other items: Toys, sports equipment, books, nonperishable food items new in sealed container
- Items larger than 24"x18"
- Broken, dirty appliances, housewares, etc.
- Foam egg crate mattress toppers, mattress pads
- Soft goods that are dirty, damp, torn, stained
- Open or used toiletries
- Any cleaning supplies
- Perishable food
- Open non-perishable food
- Bona-fide trash
- Any furniture that came with your room/apartment or from your College House or Sansom Place residence
- Socks or underwear (except for clean bras and items unused in the original packaging)
- Hamilton Village – Donation boxes adjacent to Locust Walk, just west of Harnwell.
- LCH – Donation boxes in the Heyman Courtyard.
- Sansom Place West– Donation bin by the package lockers.
- The Quadrangle – Donation boxes near the Upper and Lower Quad Gates
- Kings Court/English House – Donation box outdoors, near entrance to lobby.
- Hill – Donation boxes beneath the entrance bridge, just outside of the dining entrance.